Hong Kong is one of the countries where huge number of OFWs are working. The good thing is that an OFW residing in Hong Kong can renew the passport without going home to the Philippines. The processing takes about a month, but OFWs are encouraged to apply eight months prior to the expiration of the passport.
The qualified OFW who can renew passport in Hong Kong are those who hold Hong Kong ID. Setting an online appointment ahead of time is recommended to save time and effort. The required documents are as follows;
- Completed ePassport Application Form
- Current passport and the photocopy of the first page
- Photocopy of parent’s passport if the applicant is below 18 years
- The parent or guardian should appear to the Philippine Consulate General if the applicant is minor
- Send through email or fax copies of Hong Kong ID, photocopy of the passport front page and the ePassport Application form. Make sure that the date and time of your appointment is indicated in the form.
- Send your email at [email protected] or [email protected] and the consulate will send a confirmation reply.
- On the appointment day, the applicant should bring the following documents;
- Printed appointment slip and ePassport application form
- Photocopy of the Hong Kong ID and payment worth HK$480
- First page of the current passport indicating the name and photo
- If the applicant is minor, he or she should be accompanied by the parent of guardian and bring along the copies of parent’s passports and Hong Kong ID
- For data and photo capturing, the required dress code is collared shirt
During the photo taking and data encoding, the applicant should check all the data before signing the machine-generated form. Make sure that there are no printing errors available otherwise you will be charged for replacement and another 20 days processing period.
The passports are released if not to the applicant or to the authorized immediate member of the family. Bring the old passport when claiming the new one, otherwise it won’t be released. Make sure to claim the new passport as it will be cancelled if unclaimed after 6 months from the date it was issued.