The steps and documents required from an OFW in application for driver’s license in Japan.
Living and working abroad would also mean you have to be practical and independent. From the simplest household chores, driving yourself to work, up to the very dramatic situation of taking care of yourself in time of sickness, they all require self-determination. Many Filipinos in Japan are confused on how they could apply for a driver’s license, so they can enjoy driving by themselves without asking for a cab.
Here are the requirements you need
- Recent and valid driver’s license from country of origin.
- Alien’s registration card
- 2×3 photo (2 pieces)
NOTE: You must be at least 18 years old to be able to apply a driver’s license
Follow these easy steps:
- Proceed to the License Center so you can present your documents. It is highly recommended for you to be with a person who is familiar with written and spoken Japanese language because except for the examinations, all are in Japanese. You may check this address in Google so you can familiarize yourself with the place:
Kagoshima Prefecture Licensing Department
3937 Higashi Mochida, Aira-cho (It can take you 20 minutes by walking, from Chosa JR Station, but taking a cab is highly suggested.
Telephone number: +81 (99) 565-2295
- You need to undergo and pass the vision and written examinations. For the written evaluation, the passing grade is 7 out of 10. Vision test is composed of color blindness, hearing and physical fitness.
- There is also a need for you to take practical test. Your instructor and evaluator will just primarily check your patience on the road, ability to drive and come up with good decisions quickly. It is best if you could read the “Rules of the Road” from Japan Automobile Federation (JAF), since most of the questions are based on this book. However, it is not because you spent 1404 yen for the book, it is a sure ball that you’ll pass.
- Have your documents be translated and other processing fees for 5000 to 8000 yen.
Other important reminders:
- All sorts of vehicles need to be duly registered and insured.
- Always bring your driver’s license.
- Wearing of seat belt is a must.
- Strictly follow traffic rules and speed limits.
- Never drive when intoxicated.