Before the establishment of any business, registering a business name in the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) should be done beforehand.
It is very important to register a business name in DTI, mainly because the law states it. Registering a business name is just the first step into the legalization of your business in the country. Aside from that, you will also need to comply on other requirements set by the government for the sole protection of your business.
Requirements For Filipino Business Owners
- 18 years old and above
- Proof of Citizenship (for Filipino names suggestive of alien nationality)
- Birth Certificate
- Passport copy
- Government-issued IDs
- Processing Fee
- National – Php2,000
- Regional – Php1,000
- City/Municipality – Php500
- Barangay – Php200
Requirements For Foreign Business Owners
- Interview Sheet containing the interviewer’s findings/recommendation
- Duly Accomplished Forms
- Business Name Application Form
- Form #17 – Foreign Investor’s Application
- Passport Size ID Pictures (7 pieces)
- ACR – Passport – Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV)
- Notarized Appointment of Filipino Resident Agent
- Proof of Inward Remittance of Foreign Currency with Peso Conversion (For Non-Resident Alien
- Bank Certificate Deposit (For Resident Alien)
- Authority to Verify Bank Accounts/Bank Certificate of Deposit
- Resident Alien not seeking Remittance of Profits and Dividends Abroad Certification
- Copy of Valuation Report from Central Bank
- Business Name Registration Certificate Fees
- Single Proprietorship – Php300
- Filing Fee – Php500
- Registration Fee – Php5,000
- Current year’s permit to engage in retail business per RA 1180 (For Alien Retailer)
Additional Requirements if Business Requires Practice of Profession
- Photocopy of Philippine Regulatory Commission (PRC) license or Integrated Bar of the Philippines membership
- Go to DTI’s business name Inquiry Site and check whether the name of choice is available.
- Fill out necessary forms.
- Submit the duly accomplished form with the corresponding fees and documents.
- Issuance of the Certificate of Business Name Registration with a validity period of 5 years.
- Processing time takes up to 1 day for application filed at DTI Offices in NCR and 5 Working Days for application filed at DTI offices outside NCR
Where To File
- Outside Metro Manila – file at the nearest DTI Offices
- Within Metro Manila
- AREA I- Manila, Pasay, Paranaque
2nd Flr., Park and Ride
- AREA II- Makati, Pasig, Pateros, Taguig, Muntinlupa, Las Piñas
Unit 208 2nd Floor, Atrium Bldg., Makati Ave., Makati City
No. 864-0847 or 864-0829
- AREA III- Mandaluyong, Marikina, Quezon City, San Juan
Ground Floor Highway 54 Plaza, Mandaluyong City
No. 706-1767 or 706-1703
- AREA IV- Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, Valenzuela
5th Floor, Araneta Square, Monumento, Caloocan City
No. 362-7664 or 332-0854
READ ALSO: Top 10 Best Business Ideas For OFW
After the registration of the Business Name at DTI, you now need to apply for Barangay Clearance and Business/Mayor’s Permit.