Procedures and requirements in getting a driver’s license in Abu Dhabi.
Aside from the fact that learning how to drive your own car is a valuable skill around the world, it is also important or one of the prerequisites in some of the most in-demand job positions in foreign countries, especially in the Middle East. Let’s admit it; the United Arab Emirates is still one of the most preferred destinations of Overseas Filipino Workers. With the cities like Dubai and Abu Dhabi, it is so irresistible not to travel and take a road trip. The first thing you need to settle is your driver’s license. Here are the steps you need to follow and the requirements you must secure in applying for a driver’s license in Abu Dhabi.
READ ALSO : HOW TO APPLY FOR A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN CANADA
For those who are not yet aware, you may just convert your International Driver’s License or your driver’s license issued in your country of origin, provided that it was issued in the following countries:
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Here are the steps your need to follow for driver’s license conversion:
- Secure the original and photocopy of your passport, visa, Emirates ID and driver’s license.
- Letter of No Objection from NYU Abu Dhabi. Sometimes it is not required, but you may get one from NYU Abu Dhabi immigration office for assurance.
- Sometime you will be requested to undergo an eye test from a licensed optometrist.
- Legal translation of your current driver’s license to Arabic language.
- Proceed to the Traffic and Licensing Department in Mushrif Mall.
- Get a queue ticket and wait for your turn. For women, you may transact in a much faster and separate lane.
- Provide your documentary requirements and settle your payment. The fee is 200 AED. After your photo has been taken, you may get your license after 15 minutes.
Regular Application of Driver’s License
Those who don’t have an international driver’s license or did not get one from the countries listed above, you may undergo the regular way of acquiring a driver’s license in Abu Dhabi. Here are the steps:
- Enroll in a driving course and training. One of the most trusted in the Emirate Driving Company. It may cost around 830 AED.
- After attending the 8 classes, you must pass the written exam. It will cost you 50 AED for the test.
- For those who do not have any driver’s license, you must get an additional 5 classes of practical driving lesson and exam which cost roughly around 650 to 2250 AED. You may skip this step if you have a driver’s license from your country of origin.
- You have to set up an appointment to the Traffic and Licensing Department to take the practical driving test. Show them your documentary requirements and pay 50 AED.
- You may apply for an Emirati driver’s license after passing the necessary examinations.
- Get back to the Licensing Department and present your certificates, pay 200 AED and your license will be released after you photo has been taken.
- You may enjoy a road trip after getting your license, or rent a car if you are at least 21 years of age.