As repeatedly promised by President Rodrigo Duterte during the campaign period, he intends to keep overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) among his administration’s main priorities. He said he will simplify the application process for those wanting to work abroad and he specifically wants to establish a one-stop service center to cater for their needs.
Well, that promise came true today.
Today, Monday, August 15, 2016, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) officially launched a one-stop service center for OFWS where “government frontline services are made accessible to Filipinos who are currently working or planning to work overseas,” according to a Facebook post by the Presidential Communications Government of the Philippines.
Silvestre Bello III, Labor Secretary, said this is in direct response to Pres. Duterte’s instructions to them to make it easier for OFWs to avail of government services.
The One-Stop Service Center for OFWs (OSSCO) is located at the ground floor of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration’s main office at Blas F. Ople Building in Ortigas Avenue corner EDSA, Mandaluyong City. With this service center in place, it is anticipated that OFWs will be able to experience shorter document processing time and enjoy decreased travel time and expenses as well.
Aside from the available OFW programs and services, the one-stop center will likewise offer the following services to the public:
1. Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
• Passport Services
• Passport Validity Extension for Balik-Manggagawa (vacationing Workers)
2. Overseas Welfare Workers Administration (OWWA)
• Processing of OWWA Membership/Renewal of Membership
3. Technical Education and Skills Development (TESDA)
• Assistance for Competency Assessment
• Verification of Certificates and Special Order
• Assistance for Replacement of National Certificates (NC)/Certificates of Competency (COC)
• Training Assistance and Scholarship Program
4. Professional Regulation Commission (PRC)
• Issuance of Professional License
5. Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA)
• Issuance/ Revalidation of Seaman’s Book
6. Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF)
• Processing of Pag-ibig Membership
7. Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PHIC)
• Payment of Philhealth Contribution
• Member registration and updating
8. Social Security System (SSS)
• Registration and Membership Data Amendment
• Acceptance of Loan and Benefits Claim Applications
• Loan Verification and Status
• UMID Capturing and Card Releasing
9. Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
• Processing and Copy Issuance of
Certificate of Live Birth
Certificate of Marriage
Certificate of Death
Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)
10. Bureau of Immigration (BI)
• Departure Clearance Information
11. National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
• Issuance of NBI Clearance
12. Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
• Verification and Authentication of School Credentials
13. Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA)
• Travel Tax Payment
• Processing of Travel Tax Exemption and Reduced Travel Tax
14. Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)
• Documentation of Workers (Landbased and Seabased)
• Documentation of Workers-On-Leave/Balik-Manggagawa
• Registration of Landbased Worker-Applicants
• Verification/Certification of OFW Records
• Provision of Legal Assistance
According to Secretary Bello, DOLE is setting up one-stop centers across the country with the regional offices of the agencies mentioned above.
For those interested to visit the OSSCO in Ortigas and the regional offices, clients will be able to visit from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday.